Schoeps Collete CMC Microphone Capsules
The Schoeps Collete CMC Microphone Capsules – there are many different microphone capsules, including omnidirectional, wide cardioid, “Open Cardioid”, supercardioid and figure-8 types, as well as a capsule with mechanically switchable patterns (omni/cardioid) and several capsule types for close pickup of speech.
- linear frequency response at 0° (free-field equalized)
- for placement in close proximity to sound source
- preferred usage: close-miking instruments
- Cardioid pattern
- The best-selling Schoeps capsule
- Directivity is highly independent of frequency
- Universally applicable; preferred use as spot microphone, for acoustic instruments, and in conference recording
- Often used in the main microphone pair for XY, ORTF and MS stereo recordings
- Wide cardioid
- Preferred uses: as a soloist microphone or main microphone
- Extremely consistent polar response leads to a very natural sound
- Combines the advantages of the omni (warm sound) and the cardioid (directivity)
- Popular as a main microphone pair e.g. at a spacing of 30 cm, angle +/- 45°
- New directional pattern: Open Cardioid
- Optimal combination of directionality (MK 4 cardioid) and warm sound characteristics (MK 21 wide cardioid)
- Natural sound quality, due to highly consistent polar diagram across the frequency range
- Popular for use as a spot or soloist’s microphone, as the mid microphone for M/S, or as a main microphone pair e.g. at a spacing of 21 cm, angle +/- 55°
- Figure-8 characteristic (pure pressure-gradient transducer)
- Pickup direction: Lateral (perpendicular to the microphone axis)
- 0°-axis marked with a red dot
- Preferred application: M/S, double M/S and “Blumlein” stereo
Switchable Pattern Capsule
- mechanical switching between omnidirectional and cardioid patterns
- true one-diaphragm system (unique on the microphone market)
- pure pressure transducer in the omni setting; pressure gradient transducer in the cardioid setting
- can be used in nearly any situation; often suggested as an initial acquisition. Popular with training institutes
The P series
SCHOEPS offers special directional microphones and capsules for close pickup. Their reduction in low-frequency response compensates for proximity effect and helps to suppress both “popping” and ambient noise. Thus, P-series microphones can deliver broadcast quality even in loud arenas.
The microphones of the P series have a “P” in the product name. P means “proximity” and the corresponding low frequency attenuation. “XP” means a particularly strong low frequency attenuation. They are designed for close placement – “P”-types shouldn’t be used at a distance of more than 20 cm, “XP”-types even closer than 10 cm.
The speech intelligibility is drastically enhanced by the compensation of the proximity effect as done in the P-series capsules. They are often used in fixed installations, or in the SCHOEPS HSC 4VP/4VXP headset.
For more information on these capsules, please visit Schoeps.