CTP dBbox3 Audio Tester
The dBbox3 is an evolution of the original dBbox designed primarily for use by sound and audio installation engineers. The unit is fitted with a powerful digital signal processor and separate microcontroller providing huge flexibility for future firmware updates.
The unit allows monitoring, metering and generation of both stereo analogue and AES/EBU audio from a pocket sized unit. The dBbox3 includes a simple five button menu interface to make any test as simple as possible. With the dBbox3 you can listen to and meter AES/EBU at many sample rates, analogue line and microphone level signals with or without phantom power.
The unit can analyse sample rate, bits, status word and errors. It can send tone at various levels and frequencies, send microphone input to analogue line or AES/EBU output at 48kHz or 96kHz, test phantom power, test MIDI transmit and receive, read and generate linear timecode, generate up to 80mS of delay and it even has a built in torch.
- Monitoring of mono or stereo line level / inputs Monitoring of microphone inputs with or without Phantom
- Monitoring on built in loudspeaker, 1⁄4 and 3.5mm h/p jacks plus metering using PPM, VU and phase meter
- Monitoring of AES / EBU balanced or unbalanced Inputs at various sample rates Analyse AES sample rate status and data errors
- Hi Brite LED torch
- Intelligent more efficient power supply – batteries last much longer
- Fully accurate timecode generator
- Cable tester now checks live neutral AND earth pins of XLR cable
- Auto switch off with selectable delay
- Much more powerful processor allowing for bigger future firmware updates that were not possible with the dBbox2
- Improvements with the MIDI interface circuitry with comprehensive analyse Confidence monitoring
- Tone generator in various formats
- Pink and white noise generator
- Built in microphone
- Phantom power tester
- Use as an analogue to digital or digital to analogue converter with adjustable gain, limiter and EQ Built in four wire box
- Monitoring and metering of 2 wire channels
dBbox2 to dBbox3
Several ‘under the bonnet’ hardware changes have been made on the transition from dBbox2 to dBbox3.
The unit now has a more efficient power supply for longer battery life. There is also an auto switch off system. The accuracy of the test timecode generator has been improved and the cable tester now also tests the XLR earth wire.
Improvements have been made to the MIDI circuitry and we have added a LED ‘torch’. We have increased the loudspeaker volume and other improvements have been made for more flexibility with future firmware updates.