Aquarian Hydrophone H2A Microphone
Aquarian Hydrophone H2A Microphone provides rugged, sensitive, and affordable hydrophone for general listening applications, including ecotourism, audio and video recording projects, leak detection, and sensor applications in industry and science.
The H2a-XLR is intended to be a lower-cost and easy-to-use alternative to military and lab-grade hydrophones. Deriving high sensitivity and low noise were made a priority over maintaining strict tolerances. The following specifications are typical of a limited sample group and are not guaranteed. They are for basic comparison information only. Specifications are dependent upon the audio device to which the H2a-XLR is connected.
The hydrophone sensor is capable of picking up sounds from below 20Hz to above 100KHz. The output impedance of the H2a-XLR is set in part by the phantom power supply from the audio device with which the hydrohone is used. Hi-frequency performance is also limited by the output impedance of the hydrophone and the cable impedance—which is a function of length. Please also note that further limitations in your overall system may result from the sampling rate of digital recorders and by the input stage of your audio device’s microphone preamp.
Despite the uncertainties of above, you should expect to easily capture the entire human auditory range of 20Hz to 20KHz.
The following specifications are based upon using the H2a-XLR with a classic 48V phantom power supply (48V with 6.8K pull-up resistors):
- Sensitivity: -180dB re: 1V/µPa (+/- 4dB 20Hz-4.5KHz)
- Useful range: <10 Hz to >100KHz (not measured above 100KHz, approximate sensitivity @100KHz = -220dB re: 1V/µPa)
- Polar Response: Omnidirectional (horizontal)
- Operating depth: <80 meters
- Output impedance: 1 KΩ (typical) Power: 0.6 mA (typical)
- Physical: (cable and output plug excluded)
- Dimensions: 25mm x 46mm
- Mass: 105 grams Specific Gravity: 5.3
The Aquarian Hydrophone H2A Microphone is designed to work with any PA system or recording device that offers a balanced, phantom-powered, microphone input. It uses the same low-noise, robust transducer assembly as our H1 hydrophone, but includes a low noise internal buffer amp. Operation is very simple: just connect to your mic preamp, switch on phantom power and use. No additional power supply is required.
The H2a offers the following advantages:
- Low cost
- Low self noise
- Good sensitivity
- High dynamic range
- Works with any common phantom power voltage
- Robust design handles accidental drops and temperature extremes
- Compact (4.5mm OD) Low-noise cable with tough urethane jacket
- Connects directly with pro condenser microphone circuits.
- High-quality Neutrik gold output connector
- Compact size and easy hand of cable
- High specific gravity and streamlined shape keeps hydrophone down in currents
- 1-year limited warranty
- User Manual–includes specifications and warranty statement
For further information, please visit Aquarian